This is a fun kids activity I found in a Tatse of Home magazine. The kids could help with pretty much every step and they had lots of fun.
Ingredients / materials:
1 Box Cake Mix (you choose flavor)
1 container white frosting
12 Sugar cones
12 chocolate wafer cookies
pastry bag for frosting
candies/sprinkles for decorating.
1. To make a kind of holder for the ice cream cones, wrap a bundt pan with aluminum foil. Poke one hole in the center and 11 holes evenly spaced around the pan.
2. Push one ice cream cone down into each hole.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
4. Prepare cake mix according to package directions.
5. Place about 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp batter into each cone. (The kids were even able to do this part using one of those ice cream scoops with the squeeze release handle....or whatever you call those things.) The remaining batter you can use to make regular cupcakes.
7. Mix frosting with food coloring to get desired color. (we did orange). Place in pastry bag with desired attachment. (a smaller one works best)
8. Place 12 cookies on work surface. squeeze a dollop of frosting on each cookie. Overturn cones and place on top of frosting.
7. Decorate with frosting and sprinkles as desired.