Sunday, November 24, 2013

Italian Bolognese Sauce. (Freezer and crock-pot)

Again...bad pictures...
 
I was sooo excited about how this came out! 
 
I am not a huge pasta fan these days.  I usually consider pasta nights to be those when you don't have time to cook something decent or else you're trying to save money or stretch your grocery budget. I very rarely make my own spaghetti sauce because it seems like an awful lot of work when you can just buy some premade stuff, pop open the jar and dump it into a saucepan.  But this was SOOO good and definitely worth the small bit of effort.  I am not one to boast about my own cooking, but if I didn't know any better, I would have thought I was a little Italian lady who had been slaving over her stove all day on this sauce!
 
With regard to the herbs, I did not have Italian seasoning or Herbs de Provence.  I just tossed in whatever herbs I had on hand that sound Italian-ish, and I had a couple of sprigs of fresh thyme that I tossed into the bag.
 
Italian Bolognese Sauce
 
Ingredients:
 
1 Pound Italian Sausage, removed from casings
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
28 Ounce Can Crushed Tomatoes
6 Ounces Tomato Paste
1 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Italian Seasoning
1 Tablespoon Herbs De Provence
1 teaspoon Fennel Seeds
1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more or less to taste...1 teaspoon gives it a good amount of bite!)
Bay Leaf
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Pepper
 
Brown Sausage, breaking into medium-ish and small-ish chunks
 
Add sausage to Ziploc bag along with remaining ingredients.  Label bag with your sharpie and freeze.
 
To cook, thaw in refrigerator overnight or 24 hours.
 
Dump contents of bag into crockpot. Cook on low approximately 6-8 hours (may be less depending on your crockpot)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment