Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Panko Breaded Pork with Vegetable and Black Bean Ragout

I got the base idea for tonight's dinner from brokeandhealthy.com.  A link to the original recipe below:
http://www.brokeandhealthy.com/panko-breaded-pork-with-lime-over-black-beans-rice-96

I changed it up quite a bit.  My variation follows.  I thought it was pretty good.  The vegetable bean ragout definitely gets bonus points for health.  I really liked it but the husband and kids thought it was just okay.  Everyone liked the pork.  I got corn on the cob instead of rice because it looked really good at our local farm stand.  One thing I didn't like about the recipe was the pan frying of the pork.  It used a lot of oil and was pretty messy.  Next time I would do it in the oven...maybe put the pork on a baking rack over a cookie sheet or something to avoid sticking without using oil.

Panko Breaded pork medallions

1 pork tenderloin, cut into medallions (I used tenderloin because it was on sale, but you could use chops)
1.5 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
Oil
Vegetable Bean Ragout
1 zucchini, diced
1 summer squash, diced
1 green pepper, diced
1 can low sodium black beans
1/2 jar of your favorite salsa (I used a peach-pineapple...my favorite)
small amount of oil

Cooked brown rice, for serving.

For vegetable bean ragout:  Heat a teaspoon or two of oil in a medium pot.  Add zucchini and squash.  Cook until it just begins to soften...don't over cook.  Add drained can of beans and salsa.  Cook until just heated through.  Cover and keep warm while preparing pork.

For Pork:  Cut tenderloin into medallions.  Coat well with panko crumbs, pressing down so it sticks.  Toss in heated and well oiled pan and cook for a couple minutes on each side (depending on how thick it's cut...if you're using chops you'll need to cook it longer.).  Should be golden brown.  Again...next time I'm going to try oven cooking it to cut out some fat.. 

Makes six servings.

Taste:  5/10
Effort vs. Payoff:  3/5
Kid friendliness:  2/3
Health bonus points:  3/3
Total rating:  3 Stars ***

I'll re-evaluate after oven cooking the pork next time. 

Cost Breakdown: 
Tenderloin:  $4.95 on sale
Zucchini:  .60
Squash:  .60
Pepper:  .70
Corn on the cob:  $3.00  (would be even less if I'd used rice)
Panko Bread Crumbs:  .75
Oil:  .25
Cost per serving:  $1.81


No comments:

Post a Comment